The Refugee Health General Practice Engagement Tools can be used by anyone wanting to engage and support general practices to deliver accessible and appropriate healthcare to people from refugee backgrounds, including people seeking asylum.
The Tools can be modified to suit your needs and feedback is welcome.
- Introduction Sheet: this can be sent to interested general practices after your initial contact by phone. It can help to outline the need for the project and the support you are able to provide.
- Practice Profile Template and Facilitator Interview Guide
- The Practice Profile Template can assist to understand the make up of the practice and encourages a discussion about the identification of patients from refugee backgrounds and their use of interpreters.
- The Facilitator Interview Guide can assist in building relationships, identifying shared values and priorities.
- Identifying priorities, planning for action and measuring change:
- Evaluation Template
- Project flow chart and rationale
- Project diary: ongoing documentation of the process enables you to keep track of your contact with your general practices and can be used as a source of evaluation data
- Framework for Continuing Improvement in Refugee Health, including guidance in the key areas of Communication; Coordination and Management; Clinical Care:
- Foundational skills and systems required in general practice
- Resources for the whole of practice team
- Whole of Practice Suggestions
To provide feedback on your use of the Tools, please contact Samantha Furneaux, Sector Development and Policy Advisor – Primary Care at the Victorian Refugee Health Network.