The Victorian Refugee Health Network collaborates with research centres and services to produce topical research and resources. Below is a summary of publications and submissions that the Network has produced, or has produced in collaboration with others.
- Response to the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System – Interim Report (November 30, 2019).
- Submissions to the Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry into early childhood engagement of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities (October, 2019)
- Victorian Refugee Health Network, Submission to the Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee inquiry into the Migration Amendment (Repairing Medical Transfers) Bill 2019 [Provisions] (August, 2019)
- Submission to the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System
- Victorian Refugee Health Network, Submission to the Australian Government’s Review into integration, employment and settlement outcomes for refugee and humanitarian entrants (January, 2019)
- Philippa Duell-Piening, Assunta Hunter, Samantha Furneaux & Sue Casey, ‘Service responses for people with disabilities from refugee backgrounds’, poster presented at Primary Health Care Research Conference, Melbourne (August, 2018)
- Victorian Refugee Health Network, Service responses for people with disabilities from refugee backgrounds in northern Melbourne (July, 2018)
- Samantha Furneaux, Toni Mansfield, Philippa Duell-Piening, & Sue Casey, ‘Supporting primary care to work with people from refugee backgrounds: resources’, poster presented at North American Refugee Health Conference (June, 2018)
- Samantha Furneaux, Toni Mansfield, Merilyn Spratling, Philippa Duell-Piening, & Sue Casey, ‘Supporting primary care to work with people from refugee backgrounds: resources’, poster presented at APNA national conference, Brisbane (May, 2018)
- Lauren Tyrrell, Toni Mansfield, & Sue Casey, Refugee and Asylum Seeker Oral Health Recall Tool – Development and Pilot: Final Report, Victorian Refugee Health Network, Melbourne (2017)
- Lauren Tyrrell, Philippa Duell-Piening, Michal Morris, & Sue Casey, Talking about health and experiences of using health services with people from refugee backgrounds, Victorian Refugee Health Network: Melbourne (September 2016)
- Samantha Furneaux, Philippa Duell-Piening, Sarah Christensen, Sue Jaraba, Maria Loupetis & Ruth Varenica, Engaging and supporting general practice in refugee health: Final report, Victorian Refugee Health Network, EACH Social and Community Health and ISIS Primary Care (September 2016)
- Victorian Refugee Health Network, Response to ‘A discussion paper of the Victorian state disability plan 2017-2020’ (July, 2016)
- Samantha Furneaux, Philippa Duell-Piening, I-Hao Cheng, Sarah Christensen, Sue Jaraba, Maria Loupetis, Ruth Varenica and Sue Casey, ‘Developing a framework and tools for engaging and supporting general practice in refugee health care‘, poster presented at Primary Health Care Research Conference, Canberra (June, 2016)
- Health Issues Centre and the Victorian Refugee Health Network, ‘Working together to improve health literacy of refugee background women: Final Report’, Health Issues Centre, Melbourne VIC (January 2016)
- Elisha Riggs, Jane Yelland, Philippa Duell-Piening and Stephanie Brown, ‘Improving health literacy in refugee populations’, Medical Journal of Australia, Vol 204:1, pp 9-10 (January, 2016)
- Elisha Riggs, Jane Yelland, Josef Szwarc, Sayed Wahidid, Sue Casey, Donna Chesters, Fatema Fouladi, Philippa Duell-Piening, Rebecca Giallo and Stephanie Brown, ‘Fatherhood in a New Country: A Qualitative Study Exploring the Experiences of Afghan Men and Implications for Health Services‘, Birth: Issues in Perinatal Care (online 2015)
- Samantha Furneaux, Philippa Duell-Piening, Sue Casey, I-Hao Cheng and Nilakshi Gunatillaka, ‘Engaging general practice in refugee health: a literature review‘, poster presented at Primary Health Care Research Conference, Adelaide (July, 2015)
- Jane Yelland, Elisha Riggs, Josef Szwarc, Sue Casey, Philippa Duell-Piening, Donna Chesters, Sayed Wahidid, Fatema Fouladi, and Stephanie Brown, Compromised communication: a qualitative study exploring Afghan families and health professionals’ experience of interpreting support in Australian maternity care (June, 2015)
- Submission to the Royal Commission into Family Violence
- Elisha Riggs, Jane Yelland, Josef Szwarc, Sue Casey, Donna Chesters, Philippa Duell-Piening, Sayed Wahidi, Fatema Fouladi, Stephanie Brown, Promoting the inclusion of Afghan women and men in research: reflections from research and community partners involved in implementing a ‘proof of concept’ project (January, 2015)
- Georgia Paxton, Pete Spink, Sue Casey, Hamish Graham, A needs analysis of catch-up immunisation in refugee-background and asylum seeker communities in Victoria,
- Tony McBride Review of the Victorian Refugee Health Network: 2007-2013 (February 2014)
- May Maloney, Pete Spink, Sue Casey, Lindy Marlow and Bernice Murphy, Asylum Seeker Health Orientation and Triage Model for Northern and Western Metropolitan Melbourne – Evaluation Report (November 2013)
- Jane Yelland, Elisha Riggs, Fatema Fouladi, Sayed Wahidid, Donna Chesters, Sue Casey, Josef Szwarc, Philippa Duell-Piening and Stephanie Brown, Having a baby in a new country the views and experience of Afghan families and stakeholders (November 2013)
- Rachel Vanstone, Josef Szwarc, Sue Casey, May Maloney & Philippa Duell-Piening, Promoting the engagement of interpreters in Victorian health services , executive summary (June 2013)
- Philippa Duell-Piening, May Maloney & Sue Casey, Victorian Refugee Health Network, Australian Nursing Journal, Vol20Iss9 (March 2013)
- Thuy Nguyen, Sue Casey, May Maloney & Stephanie Rich Refugee oral health sector capacity building: Final report and Appendices (February 2013)
- Promoting Refugee Health: A guide for doctors, nurses and other health care providers caring for people from refugee backgrounds (3rd edition) (May 2012)
- Caring for Refugee Patients in General Practice (4th edition) (May 2012)
- Elisha Riggs, Elise Davis, Lisa Gibbs, Karen Block, Jo Szwarc, Sue Casey, Philippa Duell-Piening and Elizabeth Waters (2012). Accessing maternal and child health services in Melbourne, Australia: Reflections from refugee families and service providers BMC Health Services Research 2012, 12:117.
- Vanstone, Rachel for Foundation House (2012) Exploring barriers and facilitators to the use of qualified interpreters in health.
- Nguyen, Thuy & Casey, Sue. Model of Care: refugee and asylum seeker oral health (July 2012)
- Maternal and Child Health Services: Increasing engagement with refugee families Forum report (May 2012).
- Victorian Refugee Health Network, Background paper: Sexual and reproductive health of people from refugee background (2010)
- Kari Gibson, Aditi Attreya, Sam Bennett & Alex Brook (Victorian Public Service Graduates), Maternity Care Service Provision for women from refugee backgrounds Victoria (2010)
- Maree Kulkens. Access to specialist services by refugees in Victoria. (2009)
Key resources pre-2009
- Sexual violence and refugee women from west and central Africa, (May 2005)
- Towards a health strategy for refugees and asylum seekers in Victoria; a report prepared for the Victorian Department of Human Services by the Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture, (July 2004)
- Refugee Health and General Practice Development Program (Final Report), (January 2002)
Other key resources can be found by searching our extensive Library.